Clear all

801 Day!  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Phya
 Phya
(@phya)
Trusted Member

With the big day coming up, does anyone have any plans?

I've just been reminded about my Sublime backlog so I might crack on with that.

Excited to see all the announcements coming at the end of the day. I actually have no clue what they will license this time so I'm actually really intrigued. Something in my gut makes me feel like theres gonna be a surprise release no one would be expecting in a million years.

Posted : 27/07/2020 6:41 pm
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member

I am 100% here for licensing announcements, I've been counting down the days. I'm dead curious what Sublime's got in the works, and I'm super hoping that we'll finally get the full list of new Shodensha titles for Futekiya bc I feel like I've been waiting for an eternity (though I think it's actually only been about a month? July's dragging). I try not to get my hopes up too much bc that way lies sadness, but I've yet to actually be successful with that with big licensing announcement days.

If I were really devoted, I'd probably save the new vol of BL Metamorphosis and read it then too, but I'm not that good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2020 11:30 pm
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin

Looks like BLush Con is getting into the festivities!

https://twitter.com/BlushCon/status/1288109218982109191

Not connected to announcements but Haruko Kumota will have a drawing session on Youtube on Yaoi Day! https://twitter.com/mi_and_kei/status/1288446531738062849

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2020 3:57 pm
jess liked
MovingCastleofYaoi
(@movingcastleofyaoi)
Trusted Member

There are sales and stuff going on too.

Sublime Sale- https://twitter.com/sublimemanga/status/1288583303566524416?s=21

If I see others I'll post them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 2:40 am
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin

Does anyone have predictions on licensing announcements?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 6:38 am
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @blue

My track record with licensing predictions is utterly abysmal (bc I get my hopes up too far for titles I know perfectly well are too niche, like a champion), but going by how titles have gone the last couple of years, I'm kinda expecting Sublime to get something else by Ogeretsu Tanaka. I would also say something by Ranmaru Zariya, but maybe after Birds of Shangri-La starts releasing.

Of course, now that I've said something, this entire month will just be titles and mangaka I've never even heard of while a surprisingly huge number of people dance around going "omg this is my favorite!!".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 9:33 am
Phya and Paul liked
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin

Sublime seems to have a general style of manga they go for? Though there have been surprises lately (that one more guro title comes to mind.)

I wonder if other places like....June? or Seven Seas, YaoiCat? and others are going to make announcements.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 10:08 am
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin

@jessinbooks I hope you can get something want this year!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 10:09 am
jess liked
BL Party
(@boysloveparty)
Eminent Member

SuBLime said during FujoCon that most of their licenses actually didn't finish up in time for 801 so we really need to expect only 1 or 2 from them on Saturday and hope, as they said, more comes later in August. 

That said, I am SO excited for the Kumota Haruko live drawing video!! It is ONLY available on 8/01 Philippines time so be sure to check up on that!

I have no predictions but I hope futekiya also has some license announcements. I'm not sure other pubs will just because historically they haven't done anything? (I mean maybe June but that's a mixed feeling at best.) But I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

(As a side note, I feel like if we're going to get Itoshi no Nekokke, it's gonna be from futekiya so like.... I mean what perfect time to announce that than on Saturday if they have that deal?? Not actually expecting it, just dreaming.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 11:11 am
jess and Paul liked
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member

Sublime seems to have a general style of manga they go for? Though there have been surprises lately (that one more guro title comes to mind.)

They really do. There's outliers like MADK - and I was actually surprised by Therapy Game and Secret XXX, though I couldn't tell you why exactly - but mostly they stay pretty contained. They're really attuned to what sells, which I appreciate them being upfront about even if I don't always like it. Though if the right mangaka sells well, who knows what we could get? They got Seven Days on the strength of Rihito Takarai's name. That's why I think another Ogeretsu Tanaka title, if Yarichin is selling well enough, which I'd like.

I wish Seven Seas would license more bl (and josei) bc they go more eclectic with their non-isekai licenses. Viz is very good at what they do, but they haven't made it this long by being super adventurous in license choices, even if Sublime is freer to experiment.

But no matter what, I'm very much looking forward to whatever Futekiya announces (whenever that may be) because I already know they licensed titles I want from Shodensha and they have the most room to experiment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2020 6:00 pm
Paul liked
Paul
 Paul
(@youngbluespring)
Trusted Member

I read in the Manga Planet blog announcement that they are negotiating with Kaiohsha (a.k.a. Gush). I doubt there'll be updates come 801 but who knows?

And yeah I'd love to see Shodensha (onBLUE) licenses...or even Bloom. Here and There and Us' sequel is coming this month.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/07/2020 4:48 pm
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @jessinbooks

But no matter what, I'm very much looking forward to whatever Futekiya announces (whenever that may be) because I already know they licensed titles I want from Shodensha and they have the most room to experiment.

It's still July 31 where I am, but futekiya has nevertheless given me what I wanted, both in releasing the list of Shodensha titles they've licensed and in licensing a Tomoko Yamashita title. 😍

Almost everything they got is something that's caught my eye from onBLUE's twitter promos too, so that's even better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 2:32 am
Paul and BL Party liked
Phya
 Phya
(@phya)
Trusted Member

While not strictly BL Square Enix is releasing I Think my Son is Gay and I've just seen that June did a Twittering Birds 4 tease the other day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2020 4:18 pm
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member

Y'all, I could never in a million years have predicted that Sublime would license something with a title localized as Dick Fight Island. Never ever. In print, even! I am in fact dying right this second from the thought of casually strolling into my friendly neighborhood bookstore and asking the clerk if they've got Dick Fight Island in stock. I could never.

It's not one for me, I don't think, but I look forward to seeing people tweet about it when it comes out next May from sheer curiosity alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 12:28 am
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin

Wow, probably one of the most surprising licenses is June with the fourth volume of Twittering Birds Never Fly. Surprising might not be exactly the right word to convey this feeling, but it really is a startling and good!

@jessinbooks Y'all, I could never in a million years have predicted that Sublime would license something with a title localized as Dick Fight Island. Never ever. In print, even! I am in fact dying right this second from the thought of casually strolling into my friendly neighborhood bookstore and asking the clerk if they've got Dick Fight Island in stock. I could never.

Same! Glad to see more changes!

It's sorta interesting to see what direction the three publishers are going. Sublime pushing for more ecchi/hardcore content, June trying to keep the track they had originally, and futekiya having a mix of old and new-a wide range of BL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 2:58 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: