Notifications
Clear all

Fujo Con 2020, anyone else going?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
MovingCastleofYaoi
(@movingcastleofyaoi)
Estimable Member

I've been hearing a lot about it and wanted to know if anyone else here is going! It might depend on my work schedule if I can manage it though (sadly...)

Posted : 29/06/2020 4:38 pm
Topic Tags
Phya
 Phya
(@phya)
Estimable Member

I'm hoping to attend, but how many things I can attend depends on when they are ran. Due to time zones I might be able to see nothing =/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 5:38 pm
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member

I plan to! Though like everyone else, it depends on the schedule... and possibly my own attention span, since online stuff can be tricky for me. I hope it goes well, as even in good years, I can't afford to go to anything but local cons that rarely have interesting panels, and it'd be nice if online options could be a thing in the future.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 6:29 pm
Phya
 Phya
(@phya)
Estimable Member

They just put up the schedule for Fujocon and I'm pleasantly surprised that there is stuff all day! 

Fujocon schedule

I can make all the things up to about 5-6pm so I'm looking forward to it alot more than I was previously.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 7:10 am
Paul
 Paul
(@youngbluespring)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @phya

They just put up the schedule for Fujocon and I'm pleasantly surprised that there is stuff all day! 

Fujocon schedule

I can make all the things up to about 5-6pm so I'm looking forward to it alot more than I was previously.

Same! Looking forward to the Thai BL watch party and Ayu Yamane's panel. There's also writing workshops which is a great touch.

Need to figure out how the schedule works in my timezone though...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 4:40 pm
Paul
 Paul
(@youngbluespring)
Estimable Member

Also, looking at the schedule it felt like I'm attending our local BL convention (BLushcon) - Khursten, Thomas and James were the lead panelists last year so I'm kinda familiar about their research. I'm also curious about Thomas' thesis that the Thai BL fandom is actually a reflection of South East Asia's cry for LGBT liberation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 4:47 pm
Chris
(@noredacted)
Eminent Member

I hope they record the panels, because I have a busy weekend ahead and won't be able to attend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2020 11:46 am
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin

Just for reference: the fujocon schedule plus time converter: https://twitter.com/FujoCon/status/1281276588705939457

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2020 2:35 am
Phya
 Phya
(@phya)
Estimable Member

@noredacted they have confirmed they are being recorded

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2020 9:00 am
MovingCastleofYaoi
(@movingcastleofyaoi)
Estimable Member

Glad they are recording. Work is too much this weekend. What are you all tuning into?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2020 9:17 am
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @movingcastleofyaoi

Glad they are recording. Work is too much this weekend. What are you all tuning into?

I'm interested in seeing pretty much all the history-related panels because that sort of thing is right up my alley. Also interested in the panel about lgbtq+ representation because that is so complicated in terms of how bl is approached and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2020 9:17 pm
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin
Posted by: @jessinbooks

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

I'm also intrigued to see how it goes! Stepping into the FujoCon discord and Fanzine talk now!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 12:38 am
Paul
 Paul
(@youngbluespring)
Estimable Member

Also interested in the panel about lgbtq+ representation because that is so complicated in terms of how bl is approached and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

I attended this panel and it was a lively but uncomfortable conversation. Some even labeled the panelist a "condescending straight woman" for talking (if not ranting) about LGBT-related tropes when their experiences aren't in sync with modern examples. There's also a question of the panel itself being out of place for non-American viewers...

Personally I cringed in this panel, coming from the "anti-ship" panel where a panelist explicitly said anyone who is not a queer man or a Japanese woman should express their opinions carefully knowing it has less weight. Also the panelist used titles that many "antis" weaponize in their discourse when the chatroom's full of modern, more inclusive examples like Stars Align.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 6:48 am
OuendanBLue
(@blue)
Member Admin
Posted by: @youngbluespring

Personally I cringed coming from the "anti-ship" panel where a panelist explicitly said anyone who is not a queer man or a Japanese woman should express their opinions carefully knowing it has less weight.

I might have mentioned this on Twitter, but it really was whiplash to go from the Ship and Let Ship panel and then head into this one. Going in I wasn't sure what to expected, though looking at the description of the panel again it did say it would have a "heavy focus on older material with a bit on newer series that have (mostly) more accurate representation."

Accurate representation...

It was overall a fan-fun panel and made by fans by fans. Though the lack of context/chronological order might have hampered how critical of an analysis it had.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 6:56 am
jess liked
jess
 jess
(@jessinbooks)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @youngbluespring

Also interested in the panel about lgbtq+ representation because that is so complicated in terms of how bl is approached and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

I attended this panel and it was a lively but uncomfortable conversation. Some even labeled the panelist a "condescending straight woman" for talking (if not ranting) about LGBT-related tropes when their experiences aren't in sync with modern examples. There's also a question of the panel itself being out of place for non-American viewers...

Personally I cringed in this panel, coming from the "anti-ship" panel where a panelist explicitly said anyone who is not a queer man or a Japanese woman should express their opinions carefully knowing it has less weight. Also the panelist used titles that many "antis" weaponize in their discourse when the chatroom's full of modern, more inclusive examples like Stars Align.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with it - I got where she was coming from, but I don't think her argument was laid out super well or in enough detail? I very much think there is room to discuss the really 😬 elements in anime and manga, particularly in a space where everyone is assumed to be coming at bl and such from a positive perspective so we're not just starting from scratch over and over just defending the material's right to exist. Because god knows there is plenty of nuanced criticism to be had beyond the existing thing. But this discussion just wasn't really it. I think what I'm interested in hearing/discussing might need more of a roundtable kind of thing.

That said, I do think people should try to be better about letting go of their immediate kneejerk reaction to topics related to anti discourse because I also think that negatively colored the chat and the subsequent discussion. Dwelling too much on discourse makes it a lot harder to accept people who absolutely are working in good faith (bc otherwise they wouldn't be in a bl club presenting at a bl con) when they talk about issues in popular titles, it's something I have to consciously watch for in myself.

Maybe we should make a thread about representation stuff later and talk about it here. I have a lot of thoughts on it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 7:16 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: